Tuesday 25 January 2022

Golgotha's Sci-Fi, Planet 28 Game, using 40k Miniatures

 Herewith, a Sci-Fi, Planet 28 Game, using 40k Miniatures. Pushed the boundaries of the game here with way more minis than normal. Converted movement and ranges to inches and also increased the distance of these and then also pretty much halved all the hit points to make for a quicker game with less record keeping. This was the first game trying these Planet 28 rules.

The rules themselves can be found here: https://mammoth-miniatures.onlineweb.shop/Planet_28_simple_sci_fi_skirmish_rules/p6748004_20441287.aspx

As well as here for what seems to be the cheaper option:

https://www.wargamevault.com/product/307469/Planet-28--Simple-narrative-skirmish-rules

The rules also have a book dedicated to vehicles but these seemed a tad lacking. The rules as they stand would also enable small infantry fire to potentially inflict casualties on what would otherwise relatively heavy vehicles and also sees infantry doing similar amounts of damage to vehicle mounted weapons. Vehicle rules do provide a good starting point and I suppose it will depend on what you create stat wise to match your miniatures. 

Despite some small gripes we had loads of fun and this is certainly worth playing with younger gamers and or for a relatively quick and straight forward game. Only thing we needed to look up was some of the weapon stats. Would imagine the game working well with 10 or less miniatures if playing the rules as is. See a review here: https://www.beastsofwar.com/featured/skirmishing-grimdark-planet-28-mammoth-miniatures/

As well as https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/305559/planet-28-narrative-skirmish-gaming-baroque-future

Guerrilla Miniature Games also has a Lets Play see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dYvzlU4ACs&ab_channel=GuerrillaMiniatureGames

There is also a Fantasy variant of the rules which I am keen to try called Brutal Quest. 

See: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=101948.msg1716596#msg1716596

This game was in a sense red versus blue with green allies on the side of red you will see what I mean. Must say I do like playing space marines against each other... Here the UltraMarine force gathers. 


Note the toy tank co-opted into my marine force with some heavy robots as support the larger of which are ideal as substitutes for dreadnoughts. 


Overview of the battlefield - using the Realm of Battle Sector Imperialis game boards. I do need more terrain more suitable to these boards grimdark theme. Have used various bits and pieces here as filler including Mantic Sci Fi bits and using their doors as walls. I am happy with some of the piping as can be seen by the blue bit jutting out of the tower and tower included it needs painting. 




Said mentioned piping, used piping from one of those awful cloth furniture cupboards. Can't have pipes without a tap... LOL



Green chaps have set up a command tent the "general" is a Mantic miniature from their sports game which I picked up cheap and have never played. 



This repainted toy tank is then the equivalent to the blue one above.


Thought my son awfully clever here ordering his chaps to push down the barrels for some extra cover. The building on the left is a Dave Graffam available here: 


This chap was surprisingly lucky to survive having witnessed the worst of the action. He even managed to take down a red marine and captured the object marked by some flags I made as objective markers. 




Red mech in epic fashion turned the cornered and let rip with its full array of weapons including rockets and heavy Gatling gun destroying my blue tank. 



Supporting fire from the red tank did a nice long range high explosive shot taking care of some of my infantry. 




My sergeant bravely ran up to said mech and placed a charge on it blowing it up - unfortunately in running past he took some shots to his back. He did manage to survive the battle, and will carry the scars for life. 


Hiding behind a wall from mechs is a bad idea...


As my son gave the thumbs up to shooting through the walls and into my marines - despite the cover they died - one did in actually survive but was then trampled by one of the mechs as it advanced through the ruined wall. 


I did manage to get some revenge here destroying one of the mechs with a pulse weapon on my dreadnought. 



This small victory was short lived as here my mech lay dead. Having been destroyed by a missile attack.


My sons firing squad as I called them put down a significant amount of firepower into what was my rapidly dwindling forces. I had lost and was in full retreat with what few precious pieces I had remaining. 


What follows is just some more pictures of the game. Do like this barbed wire must try make/find some more...








These were supposedly my elite and to be fair did better than the rest of my forces but their pistols were just too weak and the swords proved largely useless too. 














1 comment:

  1. I do have the same toy tank you repainted in blue for the ultramarines!

    ReplyDelete